Author
Historical and old photos, pictures and images of Mons, Hainaut
Dear friend, help the project
across PayPal (fotobanknail@gmail.com)

Cities of the World • Cities of Europa • Cities of Belgium

History of Mons, Hainaut in photos

A small historical reference

Geography: Mons is a city and municipality of Wallonia, and the capital of the province of Hainaut, Belgium.

Mons was made into a fortified city by Count Baldwin IV of Hainaut in the 12th century. The population grew quickly, trade flourished, and several commercial buildings were erected near the Grand’Place. In 1814, King William I of the Netherlands increased the fortifications, following the fall of the First French Empire. The Industrial Revolution and coal mining made Mons a center of heavy industry. In 1830, Belgium gained its independence and the decision was made to dismantle the fortifications, allowing the creation of large boulevards and other urban projects.

On 23–24 August 1914, Mons was the location of the Battle of Mons. The British were forced to retreat and the town remained occupied by the Germans until its liberation by the Canadian Corps during the final days of the war. There are several memorial placards related to the WW1 battles. Today, the city is an important university town and commercial centre. The main square is the centre of the old city. It is paved in the manner of old cities and is home to many cafes and restaurants, as well as the town hall and belfry. It is forbidden to park in or drive through the centre. Together with the Czech city of Plzeň, Mons was the European Capital of Culture in 2015.

Date of foundation:

History:

Population: 95 299

Sights:

Mons. Caserne Trésignies
Caserne Trésignies
Mons. Collégiale Sainte Waudru
Collégiale Sainte Waudru
Mons. Ecole des Industriels du Hainaut, 1913
Ecole des Industriels du Hainaut, 1913
Mons. Ecole normale de l'État
Ecole normale de l'État
Mons. Ecole des Mines
Ecole des Mines
Mons. Ecole des Mines et de Métallurgie, Faculté Technique du Hainaut
Ecole des Mines et de Métallurgie, Faculté Technique du Hainaut
Mons. Hospice des Vieux Ménages, 1908
Hospice des Vieux Ménages, 1908
Mons. Hôtel du Phare sur Rue de la Station, 1904
Hôtel du Phare sur Rue de la Station, 1904
Mons. Institut Sainte Famille (Ursulines), Château Sainte Waudru, 1908
Institut Sainte Famille (Ursulines), Château Sainte Waudru, 1908
Mons. Jardin du Mayeur, Fontaine du Ropieur
Jardin du Mayeur, Fontaine du Ropieur
Mons. La Banque Nationale
La Banque Nationale
Mons. La Caserne des chasseurs à cheval
La Caserne des chasseurs à cheval
Mons. La Gare
La Gare
Mons. La Gare, La Station Place
La Gare, La Station Place
Mons. La Gendarmerie
La Gendarmerie
Mons. La Grand Rue, 1918
La Grand Rue, 1918
Mons. La Grand Place
La Grand Place
Mons. La Grand Place
La Grand Place
Mons. La Grand Place, 1920
La Grand Place, 1920
Mons. La Grand Place, 1947
La Grand Place, 1947
Mons. La Maison Communale
La Maison Communale
Mons. La Poste et la Rue de Nimy vers la Grand Place
La Poste et la Rue de Nimy vers la Grand Place
Mons. L'Athénée, 1911
L'Athénée, 1911
Mons. Le Beffroi et le Square du Château Carillon de 48 cloches
Le Beffroi et le Square du Château Carillon de 48 cloches
Mons. Le Monument Houzeau, 1905
Le Monument Houzeau, 1905
Mons. L'Hôpital Civil, 1917
L'Hôpital Civil, 1917
Mons. L'Institut d'Hygiène et de Bactériologie, 1915
L'Institut d'Hygiène et de Bactériologie, 1915
Mons. Monument Dolez et le Beffroi
Monument Dolez et le Beffroi
Mons. School of Arts and Crafts Saint Luc, the inauguration of the monument of HM Queen Astrid July 5, 1936
School of Arts and Crafts Saint Luc, the inauguration of the monument of HM Queen Astrid July 5, 1936
Mons. Monument Reine Astrid
Monument Reine Astrid
Mons. Palais de Justice
Palais de Justice
Mons. Rue André Masquelier
Rue André Masquelier
Mons. Rue de la Houssière
Rue de la Houssière
Mons. Square Saint Germain, 1907
Square Saint Germain, 1907
Mons. Station Bergen, circa 1910
Station Bergen, circa 1910
Mons. Statue de Baudouin de Constantinople
Statue de Baudouin de Constantinople



Robinson Rd, CB 13862 Nassau, NP, The Bahamas
Flag Counter